Mildew and mold are two types of fungi that thrive and grow in moist and damp areas. These two tend to spread easily and once left untreated, mold and mildew can destroy indoor surfaces and may even severely damage a person’s health.
However, people are often confused between mildew and mold. Today, you will learn more about the differences of these two so you can know how to deal with them the right way immediately.
Mildew – An Overview
Mildew is one particular type of mold with flat growth on damp areas, plants, fabrics, and paper. They usually appear as yellow, grey, or white patches with a fluffy or powdery texture and often turn brown or black over time.
Mildew can be very destructive to food crops and plants although the damage they can do indoors is only often cosmetic and aesthetic. Mildew in indoor environments can be usually found on window sills, shower walls, and other spaces with poor air circulation and lighting.
It would be better to remove mildew at the soonest time possible. Mildew spores when left untreated can pose some health risks as well as cause symptoms including coughing, sore throat, headaches, and respiratory issues just like how mold often would.
The preventative measures to address mildew are similar for those for mold. You can use open windows, fans, dehumidifiers, and air conditioners to cut back the moisture indoors. It would be best to consider getting the help of professionals if the growth of mildew has already gone out of hand.
Mold – An Overview
Molds are natural part of the environment and you can find them almost anywhere where oxygen and moisture are present. These fungi are related to mushrooms but without the leaves, roots, and stem. You can also find them living and thriving in decaying matter, plants, and soil.
Once disturbed, molds will release spores to the air that may trigger the immune system of people who have mold allergy. Symptoms of mold allergy include runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes, dry skin, cough, and postnasal drip. Mold spores can also trigger asthma and some symptoms to watch out for include shortness of breath, chest tightness, wheezing, and coughing.
Most of the time, mold is not really an issue unless it starts to grow indoors. Molds indoor have a musty smell and may often show up as black spots although you may also see them in different colors. It is important to always remove these indoor molds because failure to do so will lead to their growth that may damage buildings and have negative effects on human health.
The best and easiest way of controlling growth of mold indoors is to control moisture first. Make sure that the humidity levels are kept at less than 50% throughout the day. It can also help significantly to use a dehumidifier or an air conditioner. You also have to make sure that indoor air flows freely and you can also use exhaust fans in the bathrooms and kitchens.
Courtesy Building Services Inc are experts in commercial cleaning that can help you address mold and mildew problems in your building or office.